Save the planet: eat your pets!

Another great idea from the Green Monster brigade.

The eco-pawprint of a pet dog is twice that of a 4.6-litre Land Cruiser driven 10,000 kilometres a year, researchers have found.

So you could run two of these gas-guzzlers and its carbon footprint is the same as a pet pooch? So, turning that around, a car doesn’t really cause very much environmental damage at all?!

Victoria University professors Brenda and Robert Vale, architects who specialise in sustainable living, say pet owners should swap cats and dogs for creatures they can eat, such as chickens or rabbits, in their provocative new book Time to Eat the Dog: The real guide to sustainable living.

Provocative or just stupid?

The couple have assessed the carbon emissions created by popular pets, taking into account the ingredients of pet food and the land needed to create them.

“If you have a German shepherd or similar-sized dog, for example, its impact every year is exactly the same as driving a large car around,” Brenda Vale said.

Mmm. Climate change tax on pet food?

“A lot of people worry about having SUVs but they don’t worry about having Alsatians and what we are saying is, well, maybe you should be because the environmental impact … is comparable.”

A lot of people just don’t worry about the fact that they have a dog. Neither should they. I wonder what the carbon footprint of a brontosaurus was?

Professor Vale took her message to Wellington City Council last year, but councillors said banning traditional pets or letting people keep food animals in their homes were not acceptable options.

We’ll probably get the one pet policy and then the one child policy – after the EU mandarins have returned from their fact-finding mission to China.

Kelly Jeffery, a Paraparaumu german shepherd breeder who once owned a large SUV, said eliminating traditional pets was “over the top”.

I know: why not eat the environmentalists? They think there’s too many people in the world.

H/T Watts Up With That

10 Responses to Save the planet: eat your pets!

Provocative or just stupid?

I’ll settle for stupid. I’ve got 11 (at the moment, but sometimes it’s more) cats and not only have I indoctrinated them all into believing The Bible, they are all climate change deniers AND heterosexual. See the extremes us Christians will go to in order to spoil all the fun?

2. Andrew F says:

O/T, but I thought of you when Griffin did anti-gay spiel on Question Time tonight. You could have written it for him.

3. Andrew F says:

*his

Andrew F

‘I know: why not eat the environmentalists?’

That’s an atrocious thing to say. Quite put me off my breakfast of deep-fried beans.

As a demonstration of their commitment they should eat each other.

6. Andrew F says:

“Isn’t it past your bed-time Andrew? You’ve got school in the morning. Don’t forget to say your prayers.”

Wow, that’s really, erm, witty.

I haven’t seen QT yet, Andrew, so I can’t comment at the mo.

EV,

11 cats? What do you use as a cat litter tray: Brighton beach?

Don’t let the council find out you are discriminating against dogs.

———

Jim,

“As a demonstration of their commitment they should eat each other.”

That’s fair. Or they could just live and let live and realise that they’re being taken for muppets.

———

Andrew,

I’ve now seen Question Time. What Griffin said was that most people find the sight of two men kissing to be ‘creepy’. Isn’t that the truth?

The cat poo thing is easily solved, you should see my roses!

10. Pingback: uberVU - social comments