There is an interesting Populus Poll in the Times about ‘Broken Britain‘. There aren’t too many questions, but what we can deduce is disturbing.
The first few questions indicate that people are more optimistic than pessimistic about the future, but when it comes to the situation today, the glass is half empty.
64% of respondents said that Britain was going off in the wrong direction while 31% thought that Britain is on the right track, however the same poll also has 30% of respondents saying they would vote Labour if there were a general election tomorrow. Does this mean that it is the Labour voters who think Britain is on the ‘right track’? Well, 35% of them said we are on the wrong track and 54% think that society in Britain is ‘broken’. Even after thirteen years, the connection is obviously lost on over half of Labour voters.
This means that it’s not just Labour voters who think everything is hunky dory. Bizarely, 22% of Tories think we are on the right track (yet 94% think it is time for a change; presumably the other 6% who said they were Tory voters lied??).
A third of Labour voters would emigrate if they could. They didn’t say if that was before or after they had yet again cursed their country with their vote. ‘I’m all right, Jack.’ That’s socialism for you. Slightly more (38%) Tory voters said they would emigrate, but we all know they are selfish anyway. According to New Labour.
Four percent fewer women than men think that we are on the right track, four out of ten think that their children’s lives will be worse than theirs and three-quarters think Britain is broken. So much for the überfeminist agenda that they thought would make life better for them.
The biggest sigh of all came when I read that 82% of the total said it was ‘time for a change,’ and yet 90% intend on voting LibLabCon in the election. With all this talk of electoral reform, I would like to suggest that a basic IQ test be given to everyone on the electoral roll. Maybe see if they can tie their shoelaces as well. It’s not even ‘turkeys voting for Christmas,’ is it? A bird that was allowed to live and had witnessed the carnage every December would eventually get wise to the fact that when the tinsel and fairy lights come down from the loft, it’s time to find a really good place to hide, but the turkeys who vote Tory and Labour, particularly, are so cemented in the basic left/right tribalism that they cannot read the signs, while the LibDems think they are free of all that, but really, the are all voting for the same thing.
If most people (73%) think the country is kaputt and 60% are looking to the future with optimism, who are they expecting to change things around? The people who broke it in the first place? It’s like asking the proverbial bull in the china shop to dress up a shop window with a display of Royal Doulton. It’s never going to happen.
If Britain is broken, what is the glue that will put it back together again? As far as government goes, if there is an answer, then it surely lies somewhere in the ‘others’ who, at present, only one in ten intend voting for and it includes at least one or two parties I wouldn’t want to form a government.
Is it too early to start running around the streets shouting, “We’re all doomed”?