A Poison on Most People’s Shopping Lists

I cannot believe I haven’t written about water fluoridation before on this blog (I’ve just had to add a new category on the right-hand side!). Well, here goes. I thought I might as well turn a comment I left on Subrosa’s post on the subject into a post of my own.

While growing up in Glasgow in the 70s I remember there were plans to fluoridate the water, but the local opposition to this mass medication prevented it and Scottish water is still free from the poison which was given to prisoners in Nazi concentration camps and Soviet gulags because it made them docile.

More recent studies from China have shown that children growing up in fluoridated areas end up with IQs as much as ten points lower than those from non-fluoridated areas.

But strong local feelings do not necessarily influence political decisions, as we know. 200,000 people in Hampshire are about to have their tap water fluoridated, despite the majority being against it. Most of the people leaving comments show how detested the plan is.

From the horse’s mouth – here’s Colgate’s high fluoride toothpaste (normal Colgate Total has 1,450 ppm): Colgate Duraphat

4.4 Special Warnings and Precautions for Use
Duraphat 5000ppm fluoride toothpaste is not intended for use in adolescents and children under 16 years of age.

An increased number of potential fluoride sources may lead to fluorosis. In order to prevent the accumulation of fluoride, the total intake must be assessed before this fluoride toothpaste is ever used. Fluoride tablets, drops, chewing gum, gels or varnishes and fluoridated water or salt should be avoided during use of Duraphat toothpaste.

4.9 Overdose
Acute intoxication.
The toxic dose, i.e. the lowest dose at which symptoms of intoxication can be induced, is 5mg fluoride per kg body weight. Such intoxication appears in the form of digestive problems: vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain. In extremely rare cases, it can prove fatal. Where a substantial quantity of the medicinal product is ingested accidentally, the patient will need to undergo gastric lavage immediately or vomiting will need to be induced; calcium needs to be taken (large amount of milk) and the patient will need to be kept under medical observation for several hours.

According to their website, a tube contains 51g of toothpaste, so the total sodium fluoride present is 561mg. I calculate that one tube contains the minimum toxic dose for an adult weighing 17½ stone, so “in extremely rare cases” a young child would only need to swallow a small portion to “prove fatal”. So if I have done my sums right then ingesting the majority of the contents of a “normal” tube of toothpaste could be fatal to a child?

And I have known at least one person who eats toothpaste.

Of course, in the USA, Colgate and every other manufacturer of fluoride toothpaste has to carry warnings like this, even on their “normal” products:

Colgate warning

Someone who emailed Subrosa mentioned fluoride in teabags. A recent study suggested that Cheaper Supermarket Teas Could Cause Fluoride Related Illnesses because: Significant differences in fluoride levels were discovered when economy black tea blends from supermarkets Asda, Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s were compared with branded black tea blends such as PG Tips, Twining’s, Typhoo; and with green tea blends including Clipper Organic leaf, Green Twining’s bags; pure blends such as Assam, Dilmah and Ceylon; and Oolong and Pu’er blends from India and Sri Lanka.

With regard to fluoride in the water supply, no “authority” has the right to mass-medicate the population, especially when most are against it. Even if it was the best thing since sliced bread, they still would have no mandate to proceed with their project.

In toothpaste, most of the public are not even given a choice at the shops. Out of the dozens of varieties at our largest supermarket, I can’t remember being able to find a single one which didn’t contain fluoride, so have had to buy it from the health food shop at X-times the price.

Fluoride in toothpaste is yet another thing most people take on trust without knowing the first thing about it. Put it in the water, though and the majority is against it. I assume people trust big corporations more than government. Is this because we know most politicians lie to us as a matter of course while corporations are run mainly by persons unknown? Do you trust those glossy TV ads with the gloriously smiley beautiful people with perfect teeth?

CORRECTION – I used the amount of sodium fluoride in my calculations rather than fluoride at 5,000ppm, so the person at minimum risk would need to be eight stone and eat an entire tube of the strong stuff to risk the possibility of death. But a small child could still potentially be at risk from eating a tube of normal fluoride toothpaste.

This entry was posted in Authoritarianism, Health, Water Fluoridation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to A Poison on Most People’s Shopping Lists

1. Psiloiordinary says:

Great stuff!

Are there any conspiracy theories you don’t believe?

Thanks,

Psi

What’s theoretical about it? Do you think I spend ages writing and looking for links just for snidey little creeps like you to say naff all of any worth?

• Angus McDougal says:

Methinks that “snidey little creeps” is a term you use for anyone who disagrees with your opinion. There’s nothing like a reasoned argument. :)

• Stewart Cowan says:

On the contrary, it’s extremely rare that I insult someone like that. After spending a couple of hours researching and writing a piece for others’ benefit, such a comment was unwelcome and I was obviously in a bad mood!

To some people, everything is a conspiracy theory and he’s been on the site before.

3. Leg-iron says:

One of the most effective poisons is sodium fluoroacetate. There’s no odour or taste, and no antidote because once it’s in, there’s no time to administer any kind of antidote. Hydrofluoric acid is like the blood in the ‘Alien’ films. It dissolves just about anything.

Even so, I wouldn’t be concerned about it in toothpaste, I swallow little if any when cleaning teeth and unlike mercury, the effects are (probably) not cumulative. In water, however, it would only take one idiot at the controls to put in a bucketful instead of an eyedropper-full, once, to cause a disaster nobody would know about until it had had its effect. Everyone uses water. I hear there are even people who drink the stuff.

Fluoride is not at all a safe compound to play with. Here’s a start on the science –

Unfortunately you have to pay for the whole thing, unless you know an academic with PubMed or other journal access. I used to, but I don’t do that any more.

4. Jeff Wood says:

Without being qualified like the good Leg-iron, I am inclined to accept his view.

Compulsory fluoridation in the water supply is, right on the face of it, a fascistic imposition, though I am easy with water treatment which gets rid of nasties before I put it in my whisky (like LI, I have heard the rumour that some folk drink the stuff).

I am nevertheless happy to use fluoride toothpaste: the amount getting into the body is probably negligible, and the increase in tooth health probably measurable.

In the beginning, fluoridation seemed like a good idea, but the practice has not, as far as I remember, been properly reviewed with open mind.

5. I’m not a dentist, but my understanding is that the condition of our teeth is mainly benefited by a healthy diet and that brushing our teeth is actually mainly for the benefit of the gums. To brush our teeth with no paste at all is probably much as good.

The use of mouthwashes [in addition to toothpaste] is now fairly common and it is a recent phenomenon. The market for mouthwash has come ‘out of nowhere’ in the last twenty years; it is a triumph of the advertising industry, which has very successfully created a demand for an unnecessary product which nobody wanted until the TV adverts told us so.

I have a background in industrial cleaning. Interestingly, many toothpastes contain limonene and sodium hydroxide (NaOH, aka Caustic Soda). Limonene is found in many common cleaning products such as Flash. Sodium hydroxide – typically found in ‘whitening’ toothpastes – is also commonly found in drain cleaners and heavy duty cleaning gels and pastes such as those used to clean burnt-on carbon and hard grease out of ovens and tanks. I’m very familiar with working with sodium hydroxide; it is classified as ‘Corrosive’ and it’s a seriously nasty chemical as my throat, eyes and skin learned only too well! I don’t know if these chemicals are hazardous to health when used as ingredients in toothpaste – but I do wonder.

Hi L-I,

I think sodium fluoride is cumulative (I may be wrong). I’m sure you don’t drink much water, although none of Scotland’s water is fluoridated. Salmond hasn’t got that far yet. He’s too busy filling up the countryside with wind turbines and obeying EU orders by rushing through SSM and preparing for his indy-pretence.

Hi Mr Wood,

Strictly topical application of fluoride may be okay, but you’re still going to swallow some. The compulsory warnings on US labels mean they know it’s dangerous. No such warnings for bigger poisons, like aspartame.

I suspect the “science” behind fluoridation was highly flawed, like it is with most things where an agenda is at stake. Many European countries have banned it for use in water.

Hi Richard,

I heard that using bicarb of soda (I think!) is as good or better than toothpaste. But what you eat is important too, but a Scot like me would just laugh at being told to eat specifically to protect my teeth – or any other body part, really.

I heard that other ingredients of toothpaste are also dangerous, but didn’t have time to look into it.

9. Pamela Houghton says:

I have just come across this page. I wish I had done it a year ago, as for the past year I’ve been thinking I’m really ill due to being sick, stomach problems etc etc. for the past couple of weeks I’ve been fine though my family has now made me go to the drs. I just couldn’t understand why, all of a sudden I feel really well! No indigestion or vomiting. I couldn’t go out for a meal without coming home and being sick, it was awful, so why all of a sudden had it just disappeared? Suddenly I realised I hadn’t been using this toothpaste for a while now and wondered if this had anything to do with it. My hygienist had given it to me but hadn’t mentioned any side effects, so I never thought anything of it. So thought I would google this toothpaste and I’m horrified to say the least. Will be looking into this further but I’m sure this is the cause of my being so ill. Wish I’d thought of it sooner though. Many an outing has been totally ruined.

10. Peter says:

Could you guys use the IS units, for example, instead use STONE, use kilogram. Instead use ppm, use milligram or gram. This post is very confusion itself due to this particular factor. Who else use STONE to weight human bodies these days?! We are in the 21 century already. Are we still in stone age??!!

• Stewart Cowan says:

In the UK we use stones and pounds to calculate weight and feet and inches for height; miles for distances; pints for milk and beer. We still have our wonderful weights and measures in abundance.

A lot of us are intelligent enough not to need everything in tens, hundreds and thousands.

I much prefer the old weights and measures. I’m sure their use increases intelligence. A lot of things were better in the past. This is the future and it’s not too pleasant.

11. Michelle Wynne-wood says:

My daughters dentist has just given her Colgate 5000 duraphat . Id never heard of this toothpaste , the dentist recomended I purchase from the receptionist after having her brace removed to help replace the enamel ,this small tube cost £6.50 and I though I would see if I could find it cheeper online , I then read about the high fluoride content and it also stated not suitable for under 16 years . I wasn’t informed of any possible side effects nor was I asked about any health risks ,my daughter is only 13 years old and has been off school this week as she is anaemic and having blood test for Graves’ disease , had I not checked before my daughter used this toothpaste it could have made her very poorly.

12. Waseem says:

Interesting peice but the state of teeth in Britain is very poor. Go to America and you see people with much better teeth I’m assuming it’s due to fluoride in water. Teeth are the only tools we have to eat they should be protected and looked after

• Plug says:

Australia has fluoridated water and a lot of people with bad teeth. It’s all about teaching good oral hygiene and nothing about fluoride. Your assumption is just plain wrong!

13. Joel says:

I must admit, this page is littered with ignorance. You begin to question the validity of an article when its central argument is based around an incorrect calculation and assumption regarding a tube of Duraphat toothpaste. Incredible. Moreover, other commentators say things such as ‘brushing with water would be just as good’. Are you serious? Are you aware of how Fluoride negates demineralisation? Then there’s the commentator who believes her mystery illness has been caused by the Fluoride in her toothpaste, because she read that somewhere online. Utterly vacuous.

• Stephanie Howarth says:

I was beginning to lose faith in human nature…well said.

• Stewart Cowan says:

And Joel’s comments did the trick, eh?

You like know-alls who question the reason for other people’s illnesses without knowing the first thing about them?

Joel never did say why there is a warning on the toothpaste, “in case of accidental ingestion seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately,” if it is such a safe product, like he claims.

• Stewart Cowan says:

Actually, that warning is for ‘normal’ fluoride toothpaste. For Duraphat 5000 it includes this:

“This toothpaste has a high-fluoride content. Therefore, the opinion of a dental specialist must be sought before the product is used.

“An increased number of potential fluoride sources may lead to fluorosis. In order to prevent the accumulation of fluoride, the total intake must be assessed before this fluoride toothpaste is ever used.”

Sounds just great!

Some people won’t believe something even when the manufacturers admit it themselves. They’ll still think it’s a “conspiracy theory”.

14. Tom says:

This article is idiotic nonsense. It’s this kind of misinformed writing that proliferates ignorance – people read these things on the internet and believe them – without questioning the credentials of the author (which are blatantly non-existent – he couldn’t even calculate something that his whole argument centred around correctly).

Hello, latest commentators. I have been taking a break from blogging.

a) Waseem – Yes, Americans like sarcasm such as telling someone from the UK to go and brush their tooth, but I’m sure it’s not due to fluoride. Water in some parts of the UK is fluoridated. Skulls unearthed from millennia ago have better teeth than some living people.

As Dr Mercola writes,

If fluoride is really the panacea for dental disease that it’s been portrayed as, then why is it that the United States is one of the only developed countries that fluoridates their citizens’ drinking water?

Hint: It’s not because the other countries aren’t aware of fluoride’s supposed “miracle” powers for your teeth … it’s because they fully realize that adding a known poison to your population’s water supply is probably not a good idea.

b) Joel – “Are you aware of how Fluoride negates demineralisation? ” I don’t care! It adversely affects many parts of the body and as we know, was used in Nazi and Soviet concentration camps to numb minds; studies have shown that fluoride in the water supply reduces the IQ of the people in the “affected” areas.

It is obviously worse in water, but I was using toothpaste in this post to indicate its toxicity.

c) Tom – Enjoy the poison! ;)

16. Alan says:

I have a question, are you an idiot?
    Fluoride in toothpaste and water has reduced the amount of caries (tooth decay) in over 40% of the population, thats adults and children! This also means a reduced amount of money spent by the NHS on treatment of tooth decay has also been reduced greatly, and spent on other health care which can save lives. Id like to know how many teeth you have fillings in or have had extracted? I will bet its a great deal higher than mine seeing as I used fluoridate toothpaste and drink fluoridated water. With regards to your comment about the Nazi’s using it for mass genocide, I can assure you that it is NOT the same compound used in toothpaste, dont you think it would be all over the news by now if people had died from brushing their teeth? I think you need to do some more research into topics on a biological and chemical level before you start preaching it to others.
    You may think and tell everyone else that its toxic, which yes it may be in extremely high doses which no-one would accidentally consume, but it miss leads many people that could save a lot of time and money at the dentist, having fillings and extractions (which no-one likes) ,instead of stopping the problem of decay early by simply using a fluoridated tooth paste.
    To everyone else who believes this blog please read the facts. Theyre actually evidence based:

17. Alan says:

*also, don’t say we have a lower IQ than you. I have a PHD in partical physics

• Plug says:

You might have a PHD in partical physics, but that proves nothing about water fluoridation and it’s impact on the body when ingested. Go and do some research before you come onto a blog and start suggesting that someone is an idiot. Are you a d**khead?

[Edited re. comment policy!]

I have a question, are you an idiot?

I have a question: do you have much experience in diplomacy?

I’m so not an idiot that I can also tell you that you have used a comma in error; a colon or semicolon would have been more fitting.

dont you think it would be all over the news by now

Are you kidding? Why isn’t aspartame all over the “news”?

Here in Scotland, we don’t have fluoride in the water. We don’t want fluoride in the water. We pay for NHS treatment through our taxes so we’re entitled to use it; that is, if fluoride does help. Sensible people don’t want to drink poison every day of their lives to save the NHS money or get fewer fillings – at the risk of getting some bone-wasting condition from fluoride.

As for your “expert” opinions. I’ve been reading “expert” opinions for years, many of which are clearly bunkum.

Thanks for dropping by.

• Alec says:

It’s a method of healthcare called preventative. Other countries are kinda better at it that we are, basically you try to help people before they are sick, that way they don’t burden the healthcare system. We all pay into a system that would work well enough if people took care of themselves better beforehand, instead of smoking and drinking themselves stupid and then getting all high and mighty about paying taxes.

I digress, about the article…
      You might have a bit more credibility if you backed yourself up with reliable sources. To shoot down anyone who doesn’t agree with you by saying prove it, when you haven’t proven anything yourself? We might aswell argue about a giant teapot it floating about in space.

• Stewart Cowan says:

“It’s a method of healthcare called preventative.”

Did you read this post? E.g.

“In 2006, the prestigious National Research Council of the National Academies of Science released a 450-page review of fluoride toxicity. The report, which was three years in the making, concluded that the safe drinking water standard for fluoride (4 ppm) causes significant damage to teeth, and places consumers at elevated risk for bone damage, including bone fracture and joint pain. Because of this, the NRC recommended that the fluoride safety standard be reduced. In addition to its concerns about tooth and bone damage, the NRC identified a range of other health effects that may be associated with fluoride exposure, including damage to the brain, disruption of the endocrine system (thyroid gland, pineal gland, and glucose metabolism), and bone cancer.”

People who are “smoking and drinking themselves stupid” are paying extraordinarily high amounts of tax. If it’s going to kill them then it saves the taxpayer a great deal of expenses associated with old age as well.

Are you suggesting that the National Academies of Science is not a reliable source?

I guess you’re just a member of that happy band who want to control people’s lives by telling them what to do and through mass medication of the water supply against the will of the majority.

• Tim says:

Sigh.

It’s very dangerous when people have a very limited understanding of science, science reporting and poor science jump on their soap box and begin to preach like an all knowing expert. You have demonstrated very limited understanding here, you’re simply ranting – I believe you believe you are right, but you are not making the point you think you are making.

Firstly there is a big difference from chronic fluoride toxicity than the use of some fluoride. You do realise that too much water can kill you too, right? Water intoxication is real, you can kill a small child if they absorb to much water and many adults have died in silly water competitions.

Which is why, it’s important to be subjective with your reporting.
          Duraphat 5000 is a prescription only tooth paste. It’s specialist, for people who need it. Usually short term.
          I don’t imagine a single item you require a prescription for doesn’t have a long list of precautions and advice for overdose.
          The 2006 study you linked to here , clearly points out that the comparison was areas with _recommeded_ levels of fluoride in water to children with high levels of fluoride, above 1.5mg/L – There are indeed places with naturally fluoridated water which are excessively high.

No where in the uk receives artificially fluoridated water over 1.1mg/l

What you are using for evidence against normal, and recommend levels of fluoride is a study documenting chronic fluoride toxicity. Do you understand how your research is not inline with the point you are making? fluoridation has been studied to death, the jury is not out, the science is not incomplete. Thousands of studies have not upset the scientific consensus. Every arm chair argument made against fluoridation has critical errors at the core of it’s thesis, they’re cherry-pick data, create invalid links and make grotesque false assumptions.

The fact is, every ingredient in your tooth paste could cause you serious harm or death if you take too much.

Too much calcium, potassium, magnesium or iron is also called… ready for it? POISONING uh oh! You could die from consuming too much of any of these…. Yet all those are minerals you will find in water. Yes. Sometimes that will include natural fluoride or added.

Of course – if you have a prescription, you should always read the leaflet inside. If you have a bad reaction – stop taking it. But otherwise, a pea sized drop on your tooth brush 3 times a day for the course of the prescription isn’t going to make suddenly loose IQ and will not normally give you a bad reaction.

As for the tiny amount in off the counter toothpaste… well, the choice is yours.

• Stewart Cowan says:

“It’s very dangerous when people have a very limited understanding of science…”

It certainly is and even worse are the ‘scientists’ employed by governments who manipulate and cherry-pick figures to suit the agenda.

Why do toothpaste companies put warnings on normal fluoride toothpaste?

• Tim says:

The data in this article, and all articles you try to use as evidence is you cherry-picking figures and or misreading, understanding them.

Why? You will find the same warning on bottles of sun cream. Because, just like tooth paste your not supposed to ingest it. Particularly a whole tube if your a young child. These warnings are good, and helpful, but no reason to get crazy about it. You will find these warnings on many many things. As I said, too much of anything can kill you, including water. Everything has it’s limits – which again is why they are more careful and only provide duraphat as a prescribed substance – it’s much stronger, requires more aware users like any prescribed medication. A good thing. Toothpaste is not made to be eaten, this warning is required in this world where people would, and do eat toothpaste sandwiches. Why is there a warning? Come on. There are warnings on every silly thing on earth now. I buy some smoke salmon that has a warning that it contains fish. Go to youtube, type in eating toothpaste. This is why there is a warning. People are stupid. I’m glad these people cannot obtain duraphat 5000.

• Stewart Cowan says:

You certainly have a point about people being stupid.

“I’m glad these people cannot obtain duraphat 5000.”

So, you admit that fluoride poses a danger at certain levels, therefore ordinary toothpaste bearing warnings is fair enough if people are making toothpaste and cress sandwiches.

To be fair, if one didn’t know that fluoride salts were potentially hazardous and one had the taste for toothpaste, one could presumably develop serious health problems.

• Tim says:

Yes, exactly!

Re-read my first comment.
                  “Firstly there is a big difference from chronic fluoride toxicity than the use of some fluoride. You do realise that too much water can kill you too…..”

As with most warnings and labels we encounter in life it is for the unintended application that the warnings apply too.

It doesn’t mean it’s a massively evil product that everyone is blind too that’s causing us all mass damage. It means…. don’t make a damn toothpaste and cress sandwich :D

19. jo says:

I was prescribed duraphat 5000 last week by my dentist, within 24 hours of using it I got a really bad migraine and have been vomiting for the past 3 days. I found this site during a search to see if Duraphat 5000 had side effects as this is the only new thing I have introduced and I must say I’m very shocked that the toothpaste is very likely to be the reason I’ve been so ill. It should be illegal to introduce this poison to drinking water, and very irresponsible of my dentist not to inform me of possible side effects.

• Mickthegardner Oxford says:

Hello Jo ! I do hope this makes you feel better. I have been using Duraphat 500 prescribed by my dentist for a year which is high in fluoride i have not had any problems with sickness or bad head.It was only yesterday 23rd Nov and i came out with a prescription for five tubes you may need to see your doctor if you are worried …. hope you feel better soon

20. Jonathan says:

I’ve been using duraphat 5000 toothpaste daily for 15 years with no ill effects. At the 5000 ppm dose, it would take apx. 11 tubes of it to kill you. You’d have to eat it all in one go, not throw it back up, and absorb it all. Not likely.

21. keith hosea says:

I stopped using toothpaste 31 years ago and the only dental work I have had done in that time is 3 wisdom teeth removed and replacement of old filings I use just plain water and a tooth brush this is not a wind up

22. Arfs says:

Flourine is poison. Flouride is good for your teeth in moderation.

Flouridating water is a bad idea, but only because its been proven to hurt developing teeth. Forgoing flouride altogether is an even worse idea.

“Forgoing flouride altogether is an even worse idea.”

I can live without teeth, but it’s a bit more difficult without internal organs.

24. Donna says:

My dentist gave me this for sensitivity and I was advised to use it in my gum mould.
    I did this on Saturday night, by Sunday evening I was in A&E begging for pain relief from gum burning sensations that peaked every 10/15 minutes like a red hot poker running through the teeth I had smothered in Duraphat.
    A year ago I had dental work done and I was sensitive.
    I was given Duraphat 2000 and I used it sparingly, not on purpose, just lazily.
    My two specific teeth I used it on never got better but did get worse. I never made the connection, I kept going back to the dentist who could find nothing wrong with my teeth.
    3 trips over 9 months later, on this last occasion, and a few more X-rays, still, no trouble with my teeth, so he gives me Duraphat 5000.
    And that’s when I end up in A&E.
    I could be loads more specific, I can tell you what my mouth feels like and the sensation that Duraphat caused me.
    Burning, burnt like hell, every 10/15 minutes and lasting for about as long I had to endure the worst spasms of throbbing pain which built up to red hit poker stabs. If it wasn’t for a sympathetic nurse at an A&E that has no dental staff I don’t know how I would have coped with the pain. I had two 12 hour injections and was on 2 zapain and 3 ibuprofen and STILL that pain cut through like a knife.

25. Donna says:

Summing up ( which I forgot)
    What’s good for some is not necessarily good for all and can make us quite unwell.
    I think I also may be in the Hampshire zone where fluoride has been added to our water supply. I’m not happy.
    I also want to point out to the people who think teeth in the uk are bad that they are wrong. We brush our teeth the same as people in the USA and we visit the dentist too. We don’t ‘fix’ healthy teeth just because they happen to be crooked or stained or unsightly. That’s a whole other subject.