Lay the proud usurpers low!

Tonight is Burn’s Night. I won’t be participating in the drinking, but some haggis is bound to be ingested.

Scots Wha Hae is Bruce’s call to his men before the start of the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, but it is just as relevant today. Just replace ‘Scots’ with ‘Brits’ and sing about our traitorous government in cahoots with the EU. I think even Burns would approve of that.

Set to the tune “Hey Tuttie Tatie” an age old marching tune from medieval times.

Scots, wha hae wi’ Wallace bled,
Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
Welcome to your gory bed
Or to victorie!

Now’s the day, and now’s the hour:
See the front o’ battle lour,
See approach proud Edward’s power –
Chains and slaverie!

Wha will be a traitor knave?
Wha will fill a coward’s grave?
Wha sae base as be a slave? –
Let him turn, and flee!

Wha for Scotland’s King and Law
Freedom’s sword will strongly draw,
Freeman stand or freeman fa’,
Let him follow me!

By oppression’s woes and pains,
By your sons in servile chains,
We will drain our dearest veins
But they shall be free!

Lay the proud usurpers low!
Tyrants fall in every foe!
Liberty’s in every blow!
Let us do or dee!

16 Responses to Lay the proud usurpers low!

I can make out a few words, but not many. You Jocks are mental, living in the past, and even then you got spanked. Haggis tastes like poo, the only good thing that came out of Scotland was the relief regiment of the Red-Coats.

Leave it. It’s over.

Robert the Bruce? Seriously, he wouldn’t last five minutes in my local.

PS William Wallace was a girl.

PPS Stewart … How d’ya like me now?

‘Leave it. It’s over.’

I agree English. This unthinking need that people have to adopt the perspective of the ancients and ignore the present is most unfortunate.

You know I’m only joking, right?

Right, English, you’re barred!

Jim,

I think the sensible thing is to learn from the past, otherwise, as they say, we are ‘doomed to repeat it’.

We spanked the English at Bannockburn by the way and sent proud Edward’s army homeward tae think again.

Indeed so Stewart. But I’d rather not live in it.

That Flower O’ Scotland dirge gies me the dry boak btw.

We had to let you win once in a while, otherwise you might not have wanted to play anymore.

Culloden ring a bell?

“Culloden ring a bell?”

I can’t say that it does, English. I remember the Battle of Stirling Bridge!

No, sorry, don’t remember that one.

I do recall the events of the Battle of Pinkie, 1547, the Battle of Solway Moss, 1542 (that was a great one, the ratio of Scottish to English dead was estimated at close to 100-1), the Battle of Tippermuir, 1644 and the Battle of Worcester, 1651.

If I think really hard, I think I could come up with maybe a couple more, if you want.

Well I can also name a couple more: Glentrool 1307 and Wembley 1977!

Flodden 1513 was the biggest battle between the two nations and a devastating and bloody defeat for the Jocks. Don’t forget Wembley 1996! Colin Hendry wore the same dress as Wallace!

How do I close this thread…?

‘Let there be, I pray thee, no strife between me and thee…for we be brethren’. Genesis 13 v 8

Thread closed.