How much IS that doggy in the window?

Ron Paul, don't steal
This sign is on Congressman Ron Paul’s desk.

It could be on any desk in any country.

My two dogs had minor operations today. Both are doing fine and have just eaten heartily. I don’t mind the vet’s bill, but 20% VAT on top? It seems rather callous of the Government to penalise us like this when we want to get our pets well again.

Surely paying VAT on their food is tax enough?

VAT was 8% in the 1970s, then went up to 15%, then 17½% and now it’s 20%. Not only that, but the product range widened to include restaurant meals, takeaway food, confectionery, pet food, etc.

Now there are extra taxes on flights, insurance premiums, utility bills… it goes on and on, and all these are taxes on already taxed income!

And I dread to think what ridiculous lengths politicians will go to with their “green” taxes.

When does enough become enough?

————————-

So, how much is that doggy in the window?

How much is that doggy in the window?

Dogs are often bought for children and valued by the elderly and lonely, but don't expect the government not to fleece you any way it can.

Cost of puppy: £600

Cost of lifetime’s food @ £1 per day: £5,113

Cost of vet’s bills (vaccinations; estimated other): £800

The VAT element (@the 20% rate) of the total is £1,085.50.

And I haven’t included the cost of toys, kennels and grooming, which are at least a more legitimate target for VAT, if we must have it.

But no wonder the dog licence was stopped. The small amount wasn’t worth collecting. This VAT racket is in a different league.

Would it be inappropriate to call it organised crime? Well, we seem to have the Mafia running things.

8 Responses to How much IS that doggy in the window?

Taxing money when one spends it (VAT) is a wickedness similar only to taxing money on an exchange of labour (laughingly called income).

The pernicious rates of taxation in the UK have reached such outrageous levels, only to be spent on such outrageous things, that it is a Christian’s duty to evade (not avoid, evade) taxation in all its forms.

The one subject aside from The Bible in which I am more than happy to debate anyone, ANYONE, is taxation.

Go ahead; make my day.

BTW There is no such thing as money. If you’ve got any brains, and you’ve got any ‘money’, you’d exchange it for something of value, and quickly. NB: Gold is of NO value. Not now.

Please note: I know the difference between ‘evade’ and ‘avoid’, and I meant what I said. Falsify your tax returns, lie to the tax man.

It saves an awful lot of lives in the end.

PS I note that the reason for introducing VAT in the first place was ‘to tax the rich when they purchase luxuries.’

Helegian dialectic to the core.

Step one – Vilify the rich, i.e. those with more money than you;

Step two – The working classes react with demands for taxes on the rich;

Step three – The Gov, reluctantly, accede to popular demand, and tax the rich. Oh yeah, I almost forgot; and the middle classes, and the working classes, and the poor, and even the destitute.

What was proposed as a tax on Rolexes and Krug turned into a tax on bread. Really. And you, the reader, most probably voted for it, and will continue to do so, until they come for you.

3. I’m ideologically opposed to VAT. It’s an indirect tax on the spending of already-taxed income and it hits the poor the hardest. It’s also an unhelpful bureaucratic burden on small businesses. VAT is just wrong, wrong, wrong. As PM I would aim to phase it out altogether.

I’m opposed to all the ‘climate change’ hogwash and ‘carbon footprint’ nonsense but I think that so-called ‘green’ taxes are going to grow exponentially over the next couple of decades (unless good people get into government and put a stop to it).

By 2020 we’ll probably be looking at £2+ for a litre of unleaded. The way things are heading more and more people are simply going to be priced off the roads by fuel tax.

Also by 2020 the average household utilities bill is expected to be around £1,800 per year; one of the biggest drivers behind year-on-year increases well above inflation over the next decade will be the pursuit of a much greater input from renewable/cleaner energy sources to meet targets which the UK Government considers itself obliged to meet but which other countries will of course ignore.

China will keep bringing more coal power stations on line while we go daft with windfarms and solar power. More use of renewable/cleaner energy is no bad thing but not at any cost – and we still need the means to generate mega power for major cities and heavy industry. I think we need much more nuclear power generation in the UK.

Carvath,

2020 for 2 quid a litre?

Nowhere near. Try 2013.

Have you heard of inflating away a debt?

5. I fear you could be right with your fuel prediction EV.

In fact I can in good economic forecaster’s conscience predict it being way over £2 by 2020; it could be closer to £3 than 2 by then.

I am a motorist but one of the reasons I’ve become a regular cyclist again in the last year (for the first time since I was a teenager) is to mitigate the ridiculous costs of motoring. As it so happens I’ve really taken to cycling but many people will find giving up their cars or using them much less a major blow.

Motoring is only going to get more and more expensive – and the lion’s share of the cost is bloody tax. I’d say there’s been a deliberate agenda to price people out of their cars for years and the coming years will be even harder.

Carvath,

At least we agree on some things.

Whatever a person wants to buy, anything, literally anything, will never be so cheap as it is today.

Really.

7. Bunni says:

Glad your doggies are OK, Stewart. The taxes are out of control.
    The gov’t here, based in DC isn’t called district of criminals for nothing.

If people adopt their pets from shelters, instead of buying at stores, they can save alot of money.
    The pets also are usually already neutered too. Plus, you are saving a life. The shelters ask for a
    donation that is usually 1/6 the cost one would pay in a pet store.

Thank you, Bunni. Both doggies are in Grade A shape. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the USA didn’t become the greatest nation on earth by taxing its people half to death.

I am the dogs’ foster dad! I like dogs, but I wouldn’t have bought one, but I got landed with these two 3 years ago. I’m glad, though.